From:
Richard Gerrard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:57:54 -0400
Suzanne Quigley wrote:

> My museum is looking for examples of museums that have co-ownership
> agreements with other museums for specific objects. I know this is done,
> can anyone out there give me concrete examples?  I am not looking for
> partial gift agreements with private donors.  (Off list is fine if
> confidentiality is a question.)  Thanks in advance.

Hi Susanne,

how 'bout a whole house full of artifacts?

Heritage Toronto (Toronto Historical Board, as was) is co-owner of
Spadina Historic House and Gardens with the Ontario Heritage
Foundation.  It was jointly purchased by the tow organizations from the
family in 1982.  It is managed with a legal agreement which gives
management rights to HT while the OHF remains largely a silent partner.
In other words, we do all the work to manage and interpret the site, but
the OHF has input into larger policy issues.  The collection itself is
not staggeringly large (about 3000 objects) but it did come with a
significant archive.

If you'd like more info. I'd be happy to discuss it further.

Richard Gerrard