From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 11:45:54 -0400
Thank you,  Doug!  I appreciate your thoughts!

I think I may not have been clear enough in my original posting--I know
that the type and depth of research varies with the exhibit and it's
audience, and all sorts of other factors.  I was really looking for more of
a theoretical discussion of our research responsibilities than for
individual advice on how to produce an exhibit, and I think Doug's
comments point us in that direction.

Chris.
>>>Doug Hoy wrote:

It *is* an interesting question, Christine. One thing I have noticed is that in
exhibitions that have a clear theme (which may or may not be verbal),  a
good advance organizer, logical and consistent physical structure, and
some initial relevance to visitors' pre-knowledge, visitors ask for more
information, and will delve into particular topics in depth. Jumbled, wordy
exhibits tend to turn them off. With computers, reading areas, and
resource centres, we can put a lot of information into an exhibit without
swamping it. In a confusing exhibit, any information is too much. So the
issue may not be whether you "teach" high school or college, but
whether you can add value to your visitor's experience. You might check
out some of the literature on informal and adult learning.

Doug