From:
Jeff Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:21:18 +0100
I am currently involved with a small independently run museum and historic
site in the UK.  Among the eclectic mix of objects is a range of kitchen and
domestic items from the first half of this century.

It is my intention to try and arrange a display that recreates a house scene
in which to house these objects.  Although the objects are not (I believe),
exceptionally valuable many of them are fragile and could be broken quite
easily.  I therefore, wonder what techniques other museum's employ to ensure
things are neither broken or removed by visitors, while at the same time
trying to maintain a period feel to the room setting.

I am also keen to hear on ideas as to how it would be possible to let the
visitor know what the objects on display are without having to resort to
numerous labels, that once a gain would destroy the period feel.

Many thanks,

Jeff Morris
Wortley Top Forge Museum