From:
Ann Harlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:54:10 -0800
Dear colleagues,

I am encountering some major complaints about contemporary art works in a
show we've just opened, having described it as "MARY: Representations of
the Patron of Saint Mary's College from late medieval times to the
present." The curator thought some of the works might be challenging for
some people, but did not anticipate the severity of the reaction--that the
gallery is insulting all Catholics and has no business doing so on a
Catholic college campus.  We could use some moral support and advice.
Although the curator is more in the hot seat than I am, I think some
people are suggesting he shouldn't have been left to curate the show as he
saw fit.  What do you think?  We have posted a sort of warning statement
near the entrance and put out a comment book.  So far the written comments
are all positive, and many other people including Christian Brothers have
risen to our defense.  We are tentatively planning a campuswide discussion
forum, but opinions differ on whether that will help or make things worse,
and the complainers don't want to participate.  The press has gotten wind
of the controversy (which started within the college community), alarming
the p.r. folks.  Any suggestions, especially from people with experience
in religion-affiliated colleges?

Ann Harlow, Director
Hearst Art Gallery
Saint Mary's College of California