From:
Devon Pyle-Vowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 12:46:53 -0600
Please excuse cross-posting, also on RC-AAAM-l.
Posting for some one not on the list.
Please respond to   [log in to unmask] or fax information to (516)486-1979

Dear Registrars or Collections Managers or Collection Staff:

I am a student at C.W. Post, Long Island University in New York. I am currently
working on a project to determine the different responsibilities of registrars
(or staff who carry out these responsibilities) in different kinds of
institutions. I am currently surveying all kinds of institutions, from zoos to
fine arts museums. The purpose of this survey is purely scholarly. No
information obtained will be used for any purpose but my final evaluation
paper. Please answer the questions of the attached survey and respond to
[log in to unmask] or fax information to (516)486-1979.

If you care to discuss anything or have any questions, please don't hestitate
to call me between 10am and 3pm EST, Monday through Friday at my work number
(516-486-2320 or e-mail).

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Very truly yours,
Eileen Coffey

Survey:

Your Name
Institution Name
Address
City, State & Zip
Phone
May I contact you if need further assistance?
Number of employees in institution: F/T and P/T
1. What are your responsibilities?  Please be very specific. If you prefer,
attach a job description and list those tasks which you perform, but that are
not listed in the description.

2. Is there more than one registrar in you institution?
2a. If yes, what are the distinctions between the positions?

3. To whom do you report? What kinds of reports do you create? How is
information passed?  (Example: Inter-office  e-mail, memos, meetings, etc.
Formal or Informal?, etc.)

4. Do you have employees under your supervision?
4a. If yes, how many and what are their responsibilities?

5. Do you have a computer database to manage collections information?

5a. If yes, what kinds of information are recorded? Please be specific. If
possible send a blank copy of the file format for each database file.

5b. If no, how is information recorded? What kinds of information is recorded.
Please send a blank copy of an accession record or catalogue card.

6. How many objects are in the collection? If possible, break down according to
areas of specializaion.

7. How does the registrar's department interact with other departments within
the instituion? (Example: Development, Education, Curators, etc.)

Thank you for you time and I look forward to your responses.