From:
"S. Lister" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 12:36:53 -0400
My apologies to those on other museum lists who have already received
this query.

On behave of someone who is not on this list, I would like to get
  the group's ideas on archiving, digitally.  The person who I'm
  writing for has been given the task "digitizing" three area museum's
  archives.  She has a Casio Digital Camera and a scanner.  She plans
  to photograph or scan as many items as possible with the idea that
  "some" of the material will be used on a web site while the rest
  will be part of a regional digital archive.

It has been suggested to her that she save her photos in jpg format.
Although this format is very useful for the web or computer presentation

of any sort, I believe for the archive to be useful beyond the web, for
publications and the sort, the items should be saved as bitmaps or other

format that maintains full colour and quality.

Here are my questions:

What is the best format to save "photos" in a digital archive.  Are
there guidelines for such archives as there are for storing artifacts
(i.e. temp, light, etc.)?

When photos are saved digitally on a CD-ROM from a Photo Shop, I believe

there are several different sizes provided, that is physical, "printed
out" size - Should my cohort be doing the same?  For example, she scans
an 8 1/2 X 10 black and white photo.... to save this as a colour file
(so that the yellowing of the old photo is captured and not just the
content) would require 22 megs of space (at 300dpi), in my
calculations.  However, it gives someone the opportunity, down the line,

to print-out an exact size replica of the picture that was scanned.
Should this picture also be saved in a smaller size such as a 4"X5"?

Is there a resolution for digital archives that is the "norm" in the
business?

Is storing  the archived information on CD's the acceptable practice?

Any references websites, digital "gurus", or the like would be greatly
appreciated.  What good is an archive of information that can not be
used? - We want to do it right!

Thanks for your time!

S. Lister