From:
Boylan P <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:58:17 +0100
Very simple (a real case) concering a medical charity appeal aiming for
half-million UK pounds (multiply by about 1.6 for US dollars):

Money actually raised                           = #48,000

10% fee                                         =  #4,800

Expenses claimed (including hospitality,
        per diem, travel - inlcuding executive
        jet hire on two occasions! etc.)        = #76,000

Result: the charity received a bill for percentage fee and expenses
totalling #80,800 against the #48,000 actually received.

The UK Charity Commissioners are nowadays likely to become very interested
in any case where fundraising administrative costs, fees and expenses
(including the cost of in-house fundraising staff) runs much above 10%

Patrick Boylan