From:
Gary Acord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 04:19:15 UT
Yes there is a standard(actually a few).
you can look into international phone codes commonly referred to as IBM
counrty codes.  also you can look into the ISO Standard 3166(contains names
and abbreviations)  for countries and ISO Standard 639 for languages(usually
two characters with a third added for sublanguages).
much of this information is retrievable from the internet or i'm sure there
may be a librarian out here with the text at their fingertips.

Gary Acord
Acord Information Management