From:
Steve Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 01:45:44 -0400
My wife's company, Horizon Institute, Inc., produces training videos. When
she produced a series of museum security officer training videos, we
consulted with about a half dozen experts in adult education and training
about the ideal length for each module.  We concluded that we would have a
diverse group of trainees and that the ideal video length would be no more
than 20 minutes with 15 minutes ideal. This assumed a relatively rapid fire
change in video images. Our experts included people like John Chuvala, a
professor at Northern Illinois University who specializes in adult training
and education and how adults learn.

The training program is widely used in museums (The Horizon Institute Basic
Museum Security Officer Training Program) and one criticism of museums before
they see the program is that the videos are too short. They feel that unless
they are longer they are not getting their money's worth. But after using the
program for any period of time we've had many users who have called to say
that the length is just right.

Don't jump to conclusions that our security trainees are less intelligent or
less motivated to the arts, or whatever, and that the tapes have to talk down
to them and be shorter in length.  We have found that some museums employ
students--even art students--as guards, some employ teachers, etc. for
special exhibits and the length is about right for everyone, not just your
typical guard.

I hope that this information is useful to you. If my wife or I can share any
more advice as producers of over 40 videos on a variety of subjects, please
feel free to call me at (904) 789-3225.

I realize it is very difficult to say a great deal in such a short program.
We struggled with getting our message out in 15 minutes and it was tough.

Steve Keller
Museum Security Consultant