From:
Wendy Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:35:03 -0400
The following two postings came from CoOL after I forwarded Linda Nakamura's
query on preserving a cord of bamboo that functions as a string to propel an
arrow.  I've had to retype the messages because of a glitch in my system.

Niccolo Caldararo, Director and Chief Conservator, Conservation Art Service
([log in to unmask]) writes:

This is in reference to Barry Knight's comments on my post on Bamboo.  Barry
was critical of my referring the person looking for information to a
publication which was on treating bamboo recovered from archaeological sites.
 Actually, I was noting that a certain scientist had done considerable
research, testing and treatment.  I cited one comprehensive article as an
example -- the one on archaeological recovery treatments.  What I want to see
in conservation is treatment based on testing and long term stability.

Mr. Knight suggests that one put the object in high humidity and see what
happens.  This is just not acceptable.  We should never experiment with
artifacts, one can run tests designed to consider the roles of certain
factors using dummy articles manufactured from the same materials.  I have
discussed this issue of the basis of information for decision-making in
conservation in a number of articles in conservation and archaeological
journals.  The most detailed discussion is in Norht American Archaeologist,
v. 14. #4, 1993:289-303.

Lisa Mibach ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

I append the following from Mark Gabel, an archer friend who studied Zen
Archery in Japan:

As of 25 years ago the traditional string was made from hemp, not bamboo, and
is designed to break after a certain period of use.  If there's a bow that
needs to be strung I'd use a new string made from hemp and kevlar.  Still
designed to break after use, it looks traditional and wouldn't mean risking
an antique (although an older bow shouldn't be strung for long periods,
anyway).

Lisa continues:

While not exactly "on target" ; ), perhaps this info might help in thinking
about a solution; I certainly would suggest slacking the bow and using a load
carrying string hidden under the original when it needs to be on display.

I hope that these answers are useful (apologies to those who are cross
posted).

Wendy Claire Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.