From:
Allison Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 08:23:32 -0600
I restrict any papers regarding insurance, values, and important papers such
as a Deed of Gift, copy of a will, donor info, etc.
I allow most everything else, relating to the provenance, condition,
conservation, research, publications, etc. to be viewed, and I have no
problem with photocopying materials, especially if it is for research purposes.
All files must be checked out, and viewed in the library within our
facility.  All bags must be left with security before files can be released
to a "customer".
Aruguments and rationales are welcome.

Allison

At 05:38 PM 3/19/97 -0800, you wrote:
>This question is directed to those registration departments or collections
>management offices who are asked to make their accession files available to
>researchers.  To what extent do you allow full access?  What kind of records do
>you redact from the files before handing them over to scholars, visiting
>curators, students, docents, and the general public?  Do you permit
>photocopying of the records? Do you get flak if you attempt to restrict file
>access to museum staff only?
>
>If you would prefer to respond off-list, my email is [log in to unmask]

>Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Allison A. Smith                ***
Registrar                          ********
Haggerty Museum of Art  ***