From:
Byron Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:45:27 -0600
At 07:44 AM 3/14/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I am looking for the names of vendors who deal with computer controlled
>LCD panels, similar to what you might see on a college scoreboard.
>Several people here are looking into the possibility of acquiring a
>system for a marquee in front of the building.

John,

Be very careful about electronic signs. I know of several museums who have
spent enormous amounts on electronic signs to little avail.

The public eventually tunes them out after one or two looks and they can
really disrupt the appearance of a building.

The upkeep on some models is enormous (replacing bulbs) and keeping
circuitry working, the technology is expensive to repair, some types cannot
be seen easily in bright sunlight (obviously a problem in NM) and there were
problems getting permission to install them due to the local sign
ordinances. As they used to say about Packards, once you find a type you
like, "Ask the Man Who Owns One."

 At least two museums I know of decided to make apackage deal with a banner
painter for each new show or installation.

Hope all is well in NM.

----------------------
Former Curator of History - The Albuquerque Museum
Byron Johnson, Director
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
P.O. Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
"...Unless a people are educated and enlightened it is idle
to expect the continuance of civil liberty or the capacity
for self-government."
Texas Declaration of Independence,  March 2, 1836.