From:
Orycteropus afer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 23:50:56 -0600
As part of compiling the Getty's Art and Architecture Thesaurus (AAT),
extensive and voluminous work was done using existing terminology lists and
thesauri.  The materials they used are referenced in the AAT itself and I'm
sure they have an unpublished list of their sources so that such a
compilation would not have to be done again.

In the 1980s, the Museum Documentation Association (MDA) in England compiled
a list of such sources as well although it is out-of-date at this time but
it was very interesting.

Lancaster's works on thesaurus construction (amongst the best out there)
also contain lists of thesauri from other fields although the medical ones
I've seen do not contain lists of instruments.  Some of the most interesting
work on the concepts of thesauri was done by Dr. Roy Rada while he was at
MEDLARS.   Roy, who is a hypertext/link expert is now up in Washington State.

The AAT really is quite extraordinary and would be extremely beneficial as a
universal classification tool for museum collections.