From:
"Jack C. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 02:40:58 -0800
Dear Heleanor,
Issinglass from fish bladders would become soft and sticky in the rain, and
having looked at windows in surrys, it was clear that mineral not animal
parts were used.

Issinglass was never used to preserve eggs, but water glass (sodium
silicate) was and is used to preserve eggs and it is reasonably effective.
During the 1960's I ate eggs which had been protected by water glass during
the late 1940;s.  The eggs which did not turn green upon hitting the grill
were perfectly edible.  This may be why I prefer hard boiled eggs these
days.

Jack

>Date:    Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:44:00 PST
>From:    Heleanor Feltham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Where can I find eisenglass?
>
>Does anyone out there know wheter it was mica sheets or fish-bladder that
>was used in the
>"eisinglass windows you can roll right down" on the surrey with a fringe on
>top?
>
>Eisinglass was also used to preserve eggs.  Again, which variety?  Any
>clues?
>Heleanor

Jack C. Thompson

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick                               I hear and I forget,
Portland, Oregon  97217                       I see and I remember,
                                              I do and I understand.
http://www.teleport.com/~tcl/