From:
"F.J. Sarre" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 14:06:57 +0100
I'm interested in contemporary collecting, particularly in terms of
current political issues/events with a radical or direct action
slant. Has anyone seen any exhibitions discussing issues of rqdical
political action etc - if so where? and what did you think of them?

Also, does anyone know of any museums collecting in this field?

I'm aware that there are various museums, in the UK at least, with
collections from the labour movement etc, but are many places still
actively collecting in the field?

Thinking about this type of collecting, it's hards to know what would
be appropriate to collect; eg. road protests, the obvious material
would be the relevant official documents, any leaflets/publications
produced by protesters/supporters, film &TV footage, interviews,
photographs  etc, but would this be more appropriate in an archive?
does it matter? The other aspect would be to collect items used by
those involved in their daily lives, cooking equipment, clothes,
climbing gear etc, but most of this would be mass produced &
differing only in the level of documentation supporting the ogjects.
Does anyone know what the current thinking on these issues is?

What about big stuff that couldn't be stored assembled (or stored at
all off-site) ; benders, twigloos, towers. tunnels, lock-ons etc etc.
Much of this type of stuff would be very site-specific, would there
be any point in trying to preserve it if the site itself was
destroyed? or would it constitute such a huge demand on resources
that no museum could keep it?

Any thoughts appreciated, either to the list, or to me personally:
Jane Sarre
13a Biddulph St,
Highfields,
Leicester,