Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 19:35:24 GMT
We have had website access in past exhibitions, and are currently
developing a series of computer internet workstations for public use.
What we have done is given (on paper) the addresses of recommended
sites, and bookmarked the ones we are encouraging visitors to check
out.  Even so, the most popular aspect (at least to some - dare I say
primarily teenagers?) of internet access is the chat lines or chat
rooms.  There is little you can do to deter this from clever folks,
but having staff (or in our case volunteers) around the exhibits
ensuring that appropriate material is being displayed/discussed, and
that any one visitor does not monopolize the workstation for too long,
seems to be the only real control.  Yes, we've tried Cyberpatrol and
such guardian software, but any serious (even half-serious) hacker can
easily get around that. Beyond doing the above, we tend to put our
trust in our public, and hope for the best.

Science centres have long had public internet access on the floor, so
you might want to check with ASTC, or Webhead-L.
Regards,
George Wurtak
Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature