From:
Robert Swieca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 10:09:00 PST
it's interesting to note the "cultural" slant when Adrienne writes that no
museum would do an exhibition on drag queens......

well, we at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney, (Australia's largest and most
comprehensive museum) have done not only an exhibition and a publication
that touches on elements of drag and drag performance.  'Absolutely Mardi
Gras: costume and design of the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras' looks at
the largest night time event in Australia's cultural calendar and one of the
biggest in terms of economic impact. As a "carnival" performance, it
challenges conventional perceptions of gender and dress and establishes the
inner city precinct of Darlinghurst as a gay and lesbian space. It does so
by a mixture of humour (camp) and the typical gender inversions of the gay
and lesbian subcultures - drag (yes there is a lesbian form of drag too - as
evidenced by one of the costumes in the parade now in our collection by
artist Phillipa Playford called 'Cowdyke').

and to complement the exhibition, we showed films of the Mardi Gras and this
year, with the book's publication held a Mardi Gras on film  festival in
association with the official Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras film festival
by Queer Screen.....one of the highlights of our program was "Vegas in sapce
 - it's a babes only world" by the late drag artiste Doris Fish (distributed
in NYC by Troma films).

so...yes, there is an exhibition that touches upon drag, because in
Australia and the UK, drag is much more understandable and accessible.

Robert Swieca
co-curator, Absolutely Mardi Gras
Powerhouse Museum
Sydney, OZ