From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:49:57 -0500
Alex:

Relating to, but not I think duplicating, your work is the National
Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage <http://www-ninch.cni.org>,
which is working on a large scale to help coordinate the efforts (and
educate the communities) of libraries, museums, higher-ed and K-12 and
contemporary arts groups to network cultural resources.

On a more specific local scale the Los ANgeles Culture Net
<http://www.lacn.org> <[log in to unmask]> has been working successfully for a
couple of years to do very much what you seem to be proposing.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

David Green

>I am coodinating a conference, this spring in Santa Fe, New Mexico, of
>artists, art educators, general educators, museum professionals,
>archivists, funders, parents groups, technologists, et al. This group of
>disparate professionals will come together to explore ways of working
>collaboratively, specifically, using technology to create increased access
>to cultural information-that which is in the collections of museums,
>libararies, and archives. A goal of the conference is to facilitate the
>creation of a Cultural Resources Taskforce, a group which continue working
>together after the conference. The taskforce will reflect the ehtnic as
>well as the professional diversity of the conference participants, and
>will continue to explore collaborative projects involving access to
>information and education.
>
>My question to the list is this:
>Do any of you know of such collaborations and corsortia? If so, would you
>kindly share information about them with me directly? I am aware, to some
>small degree, of the Prairie Visions Project, in Nebraska, and the project
>that the Watcom Museum has going with a couple of schools in Bellingham,
>Washington. I would like to become aware of other successful models of
>multiple agency/oganization colaborations.
>
>Many thanks.
>
>ALEX TRAUBE
>BigPicture:Art/Education/Communication
>941 Placita Chaco
>Santa Fe, NM 87501-5427
>Voice: 505-474-8500
>Fax: 505-474-8585
>
>Check New Mexico's Cultural Treasures on the World Wide Web:
>http://www.nmculture.org/

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
202/296-5346                                  202/872-0884 fax
Subscribe to the NINCH-ANNOUNCE public listserv for news on
networking cultural heritage. Send message "Subscribe NINCH-Announce
Your Name" to <[log in to unmask]>.