From:
John Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:53:45 +0100
>Leslie Johnston wrote: I
>would like to know how many of you are providing database access via
>your web sites.

Leslie, CIMI is looking at access to many different types of information
resources  both for types of databases (bibliographic, image, text, SGML,
MARC, museum object catalogues) and database management systems that might
hold such data.

The CHIO demo site <http://cypress.dev.oclc.org:12345/CHIO>shows web access
to this work that is building on Z3950 to provide both the semantics of the
search  (what does maker or artist mean to a database of books) and the
technical protocols needed to search cross platforms.

At the site we are searching across bibliographic, authority (AAT), image,
museum object records and SGML documents at OCLC, CHIN, RLG, NMAA, NGA.
I'll have to get you specs of the platforms and DBMSs.

Best, John Perkins

John Perkins,  Executive Director
CIMI - Consortium for the Computer Interchange of Museum Information
252 Viewmount Dr. RR2 Tantallon, Nova Scotia, B0J 3J0 Canada
voice:  902-826-2824
fax:    902-826-1337
email:  [log in to unmask]
cimi info: http://www.cimi.org/cimi