"Christian C. Burke" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 23:41:59 -0800
One simple and relatively cost-effective way of controlling access to
galleries is to use disposable admission stickers or pins which are worn
by the patrons and are visible to gallery attendants.  Alternating
sticker design, number, and/or color daily will allow you to reasonably
assure that the patron has paid.  With this system, there is no need for
a ticket; the patrons are given a receipt in case they lose the
sticker.  This system is used at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art
<http://www.lacma.org> and has been very effective.  The advantage is
that you do not need to stop everyone who comes through the door, but
only those who are not wearing a sticker.

If you choose to go with turnstyles, don't forget about emergency egress
and ADA issues.  Make sure that you consult the FIRE INSPECTOR before
signing any checks!

Regards,

Christian C. Burke
Security Operations Manager