Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Claire Pillsbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 22:20:27 -0700
The eisenglas search was such a success that I thought I would test the
waters and ask the list if they can help me locate a source for an unusual
material used in some signs.

The item is sometimes called "Reflecto Discs".  It is usually used to
produce a sequin like surface that shimmers with each small breeze - they
are used on Alhambra water delivery trucks here in California.  Close up
you can see the surface is made up of a grid of  plastic metal finish discs
(about 5 cm or one inch in diameter) hanging off the surface on little
pins. Plastic tiles about 1 foot square have 100 discs each to them.

Outdoor and indoor sign people have used them to produce a kind of glitzy
(Viva Las Vegas!) or water surface like effect.  I am using them to halp
make a science exhibit about wind currents.

The California distributor who used to sell them says that the material
came from Japan and that they are no longer manufactured in Japan.  He
speculated that there may be some sign manufacturers in the United States
or in other parts of the world that have some of the old stock, the sequin
pieces or the tiles all assembled with sequins, however I haven't had any
luck trying to find them at the big sign companies in California or the
Western US.

If anyone has ever seen or purchased this item and can suggest a source
for me I would be eternally grateful.  Or if there are particularly large
specialty sign companies that you reccommend. . .

Please reply offlist, directly to my address (if anyone else is interested
I can post results to the list)

Thanks!

Claire Pillsbury