From:
Jeffrey Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 20:14:42 -0500
In a message dated 97-04-02 17:58:30 EST, kjk writes:

> It seems to me that written text has been around longer than any of us or
>  our computers, and those of us who consider ourselves competent (please do
>  not read "expert") writers can, like those who came before, get our
>  messages across through a judicious use of the written word.  This
>  certainly can be done without resorting to the use of smiley faces,
>  frowns, etc., although I will defend to the death (maybe) your collective
>  right to do so!

I couldn't agree more with everything that has been said so far re. net
etiquette.  I think the above comment needs an anthropolgical perspective,
however.  There is a clear difference in how we communicate with the written
word: one that is designed to be read over and over again in a (relatively)
permanent format, where a person writes for the unknown, unseen reader, and
the internet.  The internet email is an amazing blend of written and
non-verbal communication that is nearly "face-to-face" and immediate.  What
is more natural than the evolution of a written communication that receives
an almost immediate response (and hence the need for non-verbal communication
added in, ie. happy faces, underlining, shouting...etc.)

Frankly, I hope museums (and not just computer museums) begin collecting
email in some fashion, because it is clear we are at the beginning of a new
form of communication in human history, which seems to evolve and change much
more rapidly in some ways than verbal languages!

Jeff Kelley