From:
Lisa Falk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:24:14 -0700
I want to point out first that all Miguel did was include a brief question
at the bottom of his message: "Has anyone seen the movie Selena?" I don't
understand why this caused such a discussion...

I'd like to recommend that those of you who haven't seen the film, go see
it.  That is if you'd like a bit of insight into Mexican-American culture
and popular culture.  This is a well done music documentary.  It brings up
issues of identity, gender and class.  It talks about acceptence in one's
ethnic community and the broader American community.  It speaks of the
"American" dream and presents a solid role model.  It is also one of the
hottest topics of Spanish-language television these days with Cristina and
various other TV commentators exploring the life and meaning of Selena.

The mention of the movie by Miguel came at the tail end of discussions
about expanding museum staff, boards and collections to include American
ethnic community members.  It was not out of line to mention something
that is very hot right now in the Hispanic community. Let's try to be a
little bit nicer to each other and more expansive in our views of what can
or can not be included on a museum discussion list.  If you don't like the
topic, delete the message based solely on the subject line!

Lisa Falk, who very much enjoyed the movie Selena and finds it relevant to
my multicultural research and presentation profession.