From:
Tchira Seligman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:16:01 -0500
If you're looking for other exhibits that were/are culturally-specific and
could be considered within the realm of "identity politics," I can suggest
_Too Jewish? Challenging Traditional Identities_.  This exhibit was curated
at The Jewish Museum in New York, was on display there last year from March
through July, then traveled here to The Jewish Museum San Francisco, is now
in L.A., is going to The Contemporary in Baltimore next month and then to
Philadelphia in July.

The exhibit includes 23 contemporary Jewish American artists exploring issues
of Jewish identity -- more specifically, growing up Jewish in America and the
resulting effects.  Many works were based on, and exploded, stereotypes:  the
Jewish American Princess, Jewish mother, big noses, fashion, body image, etc.
 Some people did find these pieces offensive, largely because -- I think --
they hit too close to home.  Overall, it really got people to thinking and
talking (isn't that the point?), and we got 99% good press.

If you want more info on the exhibit -- visitor's notes, a catalogue, etc. --
just drop me a line [[log in to unmask]] or call me [(415) 543-2090 x210].  Or,
you may just want want to contact the original source themselves:  The Jewish
Museum in New York.  Norman Kleeblatt curated this exhibit, but I think he's
on leave.

Anyway -- good luck!

Tchira Seligman, Public Relations Associate
The Jewish Museum San Francisco