From:
Wendy Jessup <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 11:01:10 -0500
I agree with Jack Thompson about volunteers being both lifeblood and bane of
a museum's existence.  However, volunteers are a reality, and, with proper
training and supervision, and excellent resources as recommended by Helen
Alten, a small museum with limited funds can make enormous progress in caring
for its collections.

Another resource for written training materials is the United States National
Park Service (NPS).  The Museum Handbook (currently under revision -- after
five years or so of this version) provides useful information.  Also the
Conserve-O-Grams from the NPS.  These are available from the U.S. Government
Printing Office in Washington.  I don't have the address or ordering
information right now, but when I get back to my office and am back on-line I
will provide this (unless someone gets to it before me!)

Wendy Jessup
President and Conservator
Wendy Jessup and Associates, Inc.
210 Little Falls St., Suite 203