From:
Lonn Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 11:13:22 -0500
In the late 1970's and early 1980's the Museum of New Mexico in Santa
Fe had a wonderful semi-trailer truck that took exhibits to remote areas
of that state. I believe that the project was developed with grant funds
and had to be abandoned when the grant ran out, but it was enormously
popular with both the museum staff and the citizens that it served.
Marsha Jackson, Assistant Director for Resources at the Museum of
New Mexico (Box 2087, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504) could probably
give you more information about it. I've always thought that these vans
were a great way to serve rural communities and would be interested in
seeing what you turn up about them. Lonn Taylor, National Museum of
American History, Smithsonian Institution ([log in to unmask])