From:
Janis Wilkens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:17:33 -0500
Well, obviously I stand corrected.  I *thought* I had carefully worded
my simple request for information so as not to cause offense (save the
unfortunate use of the word "American," a result of years of
brainwashing and local common usage).

I assumed from the original posting that the request referred to the
US-style built-in
clothing-and-general-storage-room-in-the-child's-bedroom.  In my
(admittedly limited) experience, many houses outside the US do not have
such a thing (I do not consider a wardrobe, an article of furniture, to
be a closet).  US houses did not commonly have them until this century,
I believe.  *I* knew what she was talking about (I think), but I'm not
sure the responders to my post were equally unconsciously attuned to the
local culture. . . .  A thoughtless assumption on my part, I guess.

By the way, why do you consider ignorance a cause for satire and
offense, rather than an opportunity for education?

And I'd still like to know whether Egyptian and Chinese children have
personal closets for storing clothing and other personal items?

--
Janis Beth Wilkens
Curator of Collections