From:
Acts Magdalena <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 18:58:25 -0500
Hi my name is Lisa and I am using my friend's access to this list to ask
you a question.  I have been assigned to "curate" a collection (A very
large one) of videos and sculptures generated by a single artist.  My
understanding of curating is that I am to collect these things together
from the various places they have ended up and arrange restoration of the
pieces and films that need it in preparation for a permanent museum (I
have to start that up too) that will display this work.  I have only
archival and storage experience with textiles and paintings, not active
display.  I am kind of freaking out and no one I know has the time to help
me with some advice.  When you are a curator, presented with a large body
of work to prepare for display, what exactly do you do?  I am to submit a
budget soon and this is what I will have it consist of: Costs for
shipping, amount charged for restoration, rents of possible sites for
display.  What other things do I need to consider costs of?  Any help
comments and advice will be appreciated.  I was thrown into this and I
would really like to make it work.  THANK YOU