From:
Helen Glazer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:29:50 -0500
Kevin is right that standard "cool white" and even the "warm white"
fluorescents can drastically affect the perception of color.  As an
artist as well as a curator, I can attest to the fact that a painting
created in a studio lit by cool white fluorescents can look dramatically
different under natural light, with both hue and value (dark/light) being
affected.  I resolved the problem in my own studio by using daylight
spectrum fluorescents.  They fit in standard fixtures and come in
standard lengths.  They're a specialty item, but I did find a supplier in
my area.  They told me that they sell most of them to printers and other
manufacturers where color-matching is critical.  They have the advantage
of being long lasting (mine had a 2 1/2 year guarantee but I've had them
years longer) and not giving off heat.

Regarding another of Kevin's concerns, the ultraviolet rays that damage
artwork can be dealt with by
using ultraviolet-filtering jackets on the bulbs, which are available
from a few catalogue suppliers.  So dimmers and motion detectors are not
necessarily the only solution.

Motion detectors that turn off or dim lights pose other potential problems
in a museum environment.  We bought our home from an electrical contractor who
installed them in various rooms, including the kitchen.  There you sit,
peacefully reading the newspaper, but since you're not moving perceptibly,
the warning tone of the motion detector sounds, which means start waving
your arms or you'll be sitting in the dark.  While this can be amusing in
a Monty Pythonesque way, it might be a tad disconcerting to a museum
visitor deep in contemplation  :-).

--Helen Glazer, Exhibitions Director
Goucher College, Baltimore, MD, USA