From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 23:15:27 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "F.J. Sarre"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>This will be completely irrelevant for most people, so stop reading
>here.....
>
>A couple of people from the list have  recently have mailed for information
> about finding
>museum work in the UK from elsewhere in the world, I seem to have
>been completely inefficient and deleted your addresses, so I'm
>posting it to the list instead.

Ditto ...

Our Museums Association puts out a very useful booklet on working in
museums.  It's free (but I'm sure they would appreciate the IRC):
42 Clerkenwell Close
LONDON
EC1R 0PA

Tel: +44 171 608 2933
Fax: +44 171 250 1929

Other info which may be of use to people seeking work in the UK:
UK salaries are below US ones, and UK prices are above US ones, so
unless you've a really good reason (such as being interested in British
material culture/archaeology/art) a move here may not be attractive.

Museum posts are few and far between (tell us a part of the world where
they aren't!).

We have few internship programmes.  We have a very few 'trainee' or
'apprentice' posts.  On the other hand, volunteers are often welcome,
and a direct approach to an intitution, with a clear idea of what you
can offer, and what you hope to gain from a period of volunteering, you
may be welcomed with open arms.  Anyone interested in a major backlog of
ephemera documentation?

--
Pat Reynolds
Keeper of Social History, Buckinghamshire County Museum