From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:57:39 -0500
Sandy Moore asked

>Two questions, we would like comments on:
>
>1).  Do you allow wedding receptions in your galleries?
>
>2).  What do you think of wedding receptions in galleries?

The Baltimore Museum of Indsutry not only hosts receptions but also
weddings, bar-mitzvahs, birthday parties and other rentals.  It is a
valued source of earned income and we have a full time person who spends
3/4 of his time renting the main hall out .  It does psoe certain
problems but these can be worked though with team work and judicious
regulations, requirements, use of security deposits, and event
supervision.  Our artifacts, of course, are not gfragile for the most
part and are not easily damaged.  As the Education Director (and former
functions coordinator, however briefly) I have opinions for and against.
Each site must make its own decisions based upon needs and restrictions.
However, as various sources of money dry up, all museums should consider
these types of income.

I would be happy to discuss particular aspects of this topic, however,
please bring them up.  This is a huge area if discussion, and I think it
to everyone's benefit not to let me ramble over each issue randomly.

Matthew A. White
Director of Education and Internship Coordinator
Baltimore Museum of Industry
1415 Key Highway
Baltimore, MD 21230
(410)727-4808