From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 20:16:36 -0500
The Cultural Resource Management Program of the University
of Victoria is offering a unique six-day intensive course for museum
and heritage professionals AT Colonial Williamsburg from
March 17 -22. As a few spaces remain, please let us know if
you would like to receive further information or registration materials.

MUSEUMS IN HISTORIC BUILDINGS
The rich architectural and cultural resources of Colonial
Williamsburg provide a unique setting for this intensive
examination of the conflicts inherent in using historic buildings as
museums. Through on-site field visits and in-class discussion,
you will explore ways of balancing the needs of collections, staff,
and visitors with the need to maintain the historic and architectural
integrity of the structure. Topics include:
        - philosophies and policies of intervention
        - preservation standards and guidelines
        - architectural impact of museum uses
        - environmental and physical concerns in storing and
     exhibiting collections
        - architectural conservation
        - preventive maintenance
        - issues of presentation and interpretation
        - public access and safety
        - visitor amenities

Instructor: Dr. Thomas Taylor, Jr. is the Architectural Collections
Manager and Chief Architectural Conservator at The Colonial
Williamsburg Foundation
Dates: March 17 -22
Location: Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. You meet for classes in
Williamsburg Woodlands Meeting Centre adjacent to the Historic
Area, and visit many of the site's historic buildings.
Accommodation is available in the Williamsburg Woodlands complex,
$70 (US funds)/night, single or double, plus 8.5% tax.
Registration: To register in the course, return the registration
form to the Cultural Resource Management Program at UVic by
February 12. Once your registration is confirmed, you can book
your accommodation at Williamsburg Woodlands by calling
1-800-261-9530. Please call by February 16 to take advantage
of our block booking and mention our Program name.
Fee: $589 (Canadian Funds) or $490 (US Funds); credit/non-credit. Includes
tuition, instructional materials, and site access.

DRAFT COURSE OUTLINE

Prior to the start of the face-to-face component of the course,
particpants will be asked to undertake a brief research project
in their workplace or community

MONDAY, March 17 -  INTRODUCTIONS
Morning Session
     -  Welcome and Introductions
     -  Course Objective
     -  Identifying Conflicts: Presentations by the class
Afternoon Session
     - General Survey: Discussion on ways historic buildings are
       used by museums
     - Case Study:  History of the Restoration of Williamsburg (focus on
        what the Foundation was trying to create and what it has become)
     - Philosophy of Intervention: What are we preserving,
       why are we preserving it and for whom are we preserving it?

TUESDAY, March 18  -  IMPACT OF MUSEUM USES ON HISTORIC BUILDINGS
Morning Session
     -  Aesthetic & Physical Impacts on the Building:  Visual
         integrity, character, interest and/or "spirit of the place";
        Identification of significant architectural fabric;
         impact of tourism on historic structures.
     -  Preservation Standards and Guidelines: Venice Charter,
         Secretary of the Interior's Historic Preservation
         Standards (USA) and the New Orleans Charter
Afternoon Session
     - Site Visit: Brush-Everard House complex
     - Assignment 2: Formulating philosophies for intervention

WEDNESDAY, March 19  -  CARE OF THE COLLECTIONS
Morning Session
     - Preventive Conservation: Conservation surveys and assessments;
       Conservation Technician Program
Afternoon Session
     - Museum Environment: Establishing the optimum environment
       for the collection and the building.  Monitoring temperature
       and relative humidity in an historic building.

THURSDAY, March 20  -  CARE OF THE BUILDING
Morning Session
     - Preventive Maintenance: How to set up a preventive
        maintenance program
     - Architectural  Conservation:When do you call in an
        architectural conservator?  Where do you locate one?
Afternoon Session
     - Site Visit: Wetherburn's Tavern
     - Assignment 2: Survey of the Preservation Needs of
        Wetherburn's Tavern

FRIDAY, March 21  -  SITE MANAGEMENT & INTERPRETATION
Morning Session
     - Historic House Museums, Public Access and Safety:
        A Reality or Selective Fantasy?
     - ADA Compliance
Afternoon Session
     - Security of the Collection and the Building: Emergency Response
     - Assignment 3: Resolving Conflicts

SATURDAY, March 22  -  CONCLUSIONS
Morning Session
     - Group Presentations
Afternoon Session
     - Preservation inTomorrow's World: Should we continue
       to use historic buildings as house museums or to
        house museum collections?
     - Course Evaluation

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 604-721-8462
FAX 604-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/