From:
Byron Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 22:48:41 -0600
At 09:07 PM 1/16/97 GMT, you wrote:
>At 06:48 PM 1/15/97 PST, you wrote:
>>I am interested in knowing how other Executive Directors or Director's
>>contracts are written.  My contract is for a year, and after the first
>>year, there has been no renewal.  It makes the job unstable.

Ask yourself, how many lawyers work without a retainer or professional
services agreement? At a minimum, a contract with a private museum should be
for a set period such as three years, should stipulate pay, vacation and
sick leave benefits, retirement/pension benefits and cash outs, termination
benefits and notice periods. If you are earning $50,000+ a year it should be
reviewed by an attorney.

The AAM should have developed a boilerplate contract years ago, but to my
knowledge has not(?!?). In my younger years I once started a position
without a contract, and all it took was one time. Upon arrival at the new
position the board representative tried to renegotiate annual salary and
delayed almost a month in presenting the contract until I had to become
assertive.

If your board will not provide you with a contract, or a letter of
extension, you should reexamine your situation. Perhaps it has simply
slipped their minds. Remind them, lest you devalue yourself. Or are they
trying to send you a message? Hmmmm? I have even heard of directors offering
to have an attorney draw up a contract to motivate their board into action.
Byron Johnson, Director
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
P.O. Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
"...Unless a people are educated and enlightened it is idle
to expect the continuance of civil liberty or the capacity
for self-government."
Texas Declaration of Independence,  March 2, 1836.