From:
Kay Lancaster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 15:15:42 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "David A. Penney"
wrote:
//snip//

> We get fairly frequent requests from visitors to provide on-screen captioning
>(not sure if this would be considered "closed captions" in the technical
>sense, since not broadcast or decoded, but that's the general idea). The tapes
>we use are mostly commercial or non-profit produced, but none are produced by
>us. //snip//

What I think you're actually talking about is called "open captioning",
but it is usually done in the same way as closed captioning.  Might want
to see if there's already closed captioning done on the tapes you use...
no use reinventing the wheel!  Last time I checked into costs of closed
captioning tapes it was less than $1000 for a half hour of programming.

I'd start by talking to the copyright holders of the films you have,
and to local tv stations that do closed captioning of their news shows,
and perhaps to some of the commercial captioning outfits like Closed
Captioning Institute, Rapid Text, CaptionMax, and National Captioning
Institute.

Captioning is another example of how something intended for "handicapped
access" improves access to a service for "normal folks", just like
a building built with wide enough doorways and no stairs is both
wheelchair accessible and a *whole lot* easier to move equipment and
supplies in.

Kay Lancaster   [log in to unmask]