Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 19:24:15 -0500
Sorry for the long title Museum Ler's but I couldn't help but feel compelled
to respond to several of the postings I saw this evening.  Might I add too
that the graffiti discussion, in some of the postings, is quite troubling to
me.  I am not trying to offend any members of the list, however, it seems to
me that making judgements which imply that  high and low art and good and bad
graffiti exist are quite problematic for a variety of reasons, all of which I
will not elaborate upon now except to say that they promote the idea that
there is a high and low culture and they support hierarchies in which I
myself do not believe.  Furthermore, judging art on the basis of quality
seems to lead to nothing but the further promotion of hierarchical structures
that many "artists" are reacting against.  In my opinion, individuals who
react negatively to graffiti (as well as art that they call "bad") either do
not understand it, or are afraid of its implications.

Just my opinion.

On a different note, I saw Basquiat.  Though I enjoyed the movie and I would
suggest seeing it, it was more about cultural commodification, the
exploitation of artists, and the problem with the canon than Basquiat.  I do
not think it adaquately portrayed the artist or his work although the issues
that it highlighted were pertinent cultural issues.  Furthermore, I think
that the fact that it did not really portray Basquiat adaquately is important
for people who know nothing about the artist to be aware of when they go to
see the movie.  Nevertheless, it is worth seeing.

Again, I hope I have not offended anyone with my above postings.

Warm Regards,

Nicole Basso.