From:
David Haberstich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 18:05:55 EST
 Ann Harlow thinks SHE has problems, but here in Washington, there is
actual talk of removing, altering, defacing through sandblasting or
various other horrific techhniques the face and/or figure of Mohammed on
a frieze on the U.S. Supreme Court building? Why? Because some--but
reportedly not all--Muslims object to ANY image of the prophet. It's
been there for 60 years but apparently was noticed only recently! This
gets into entirely new territory, when ANY image of a person, living or
dead, is considered objectionable--and 60 years late!
         The fact is that everything in existence, natural or
man/woman/child/animal-made, is going to offend someone somewhere.
         Seriously, Ann, what specifically are the objections which the
objectors refuse to articulate in public forum? We might be able to
offer some advice if we had more information. --David Haberstich