From:
Catbasket <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 21:40:37 GMT
        I used to see those signs on nail-studded telephone poles when I
was young:   Man for hire,   Handyman,   Yardwork Cheap,   numbers
scrawled underneath.  Had they been the desperate acts of broken men who
had fallen and then become mired in hard times?  Or were they placed _just
so_ by hayseed entrepreneurs who knew their best prospects came by
word-of-mouth and from clumsily painted cardboard signs?  Some were con
artists, tinkers or travelers (my father seemed never to have caught on
while I was always suspicious of them), but today I am throwing myself in
with their lot.
        Against my better judgement and the advice of people who have been
in museums much longer than I, I have moved to the East Coast from Kansas
in search of a job in curating/collections management.  I was warned from
New York to DC that competition for jobs is fierce and that many museums
cannot afford to replace lost/downsized staff members.   Yes,  I thought,
 But I am skilled, intelligent, resourceful and determined.   Besides, I
have many leads and contacts and I will have a job in no time.
        A year later, I pay my rent by bartending and pastry cheffing.
When I am not working, I volunteer at museums here in Philadelphia.  I
attend conferences and work shops.  I interview for every job I can.  I
schmooze and network.  I scour the Internet looking for opportunities here
and elsewhere.  I am a regular at the job bank.  I strike up conversations
with strangers in case they might be able to lead me to a job in a museum
and I have fended off a drunken board member who made vague promises of
employment in exchange for a little quality time at home while his wife
was away for the weekend.  My efforts have led me to an eight-hour-a-week
position with a college that is establishing its archives.  I enjoy the
work, but I want more of it.
        My requests are twofold:  (1) Is there anyone in the Philadelphia
or nearby communities who does not yet know me who might have time to
speak?  I refuse to believe that there is no work for me to do here and I
would like to talk to anyone who has any suggestions for continuing this
job search however mundane, trifling or obvious they may seem. (2)  I live
in Philadelphia, but I am not blind to opportunity, either.  If you know
of an opening anywhere, even if it s with someone who may think that they
might, maybe, consider help (possibly) but aren t quite sure--I want to
hear about them.  I want them to hear about me.  There are collections
outside of museums and careers within which are not in collections--in all
these things I am interested.
        If you d like to see my resume (not the bartending one in which I
have dumbed myself down--graduate degrees and experience are a red flag
that you re looking for a real job and will leave as soon as you get it),
I ll email you one in two shakes.  I even use that old fashioned post
office for anyone who wants a hard copy.
        I welcome all inquiries, flames and replies.  Please forward this
to anyone you think may find it useful.  You may contact me, Matthew
Rowley, at:

209 Cuthbert St.
No 404
Philadelphia, PA  19106