From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:12:47 EST
John Handley wrote:

>   Regarding pharmaceuticals that, over time, become dangerous, I
>   would be most interested to know if anyone knows more on this.  I
>    work with a medical collection and have consulted several
>    physicians who, in their opinion, say there is nothing to worry
>   about as far as off-gasing, etc.

Please contact the Canadian Conservation Institute, (Analytical Research
Services). Upon testing, you may find that many old pill formulations contain
Hg2Cl2 (Mercury chloride) or other nasties like strychnine. Unless you
chemically test decomposing pills, there is no way to tell to what you are being
exposed. Decomposing medications may be harmless to you but may react with their
containers or other objects in your collections. Our practice is to test the
contents of pill vials or ointment tubes. Those materials that are unstable or
harmful are documented and discarded.

Good luck

Gutenkauf
Diane Gutenkauf
Chair, Midwest Registrars Committee
Curator, Elmhurst Historical Museum
120 E. Park Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126 USA

Voice: +(630) 833-1457
  Fax: +(630) 833-1326
Email: [log in to unmask]

My opinions are my own and do not reflect those
of any institution with which I am affiliated.