From:
Paul Bohanna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 06:03:22 +0000
In article <9701138531.AA853198467@aao5>, JHANDLEY
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>    I am doing a bit of research on an early piece of
>    pottery.  The piece stands about 11" and is in the form of a fat
>    man (standing) dressed in early American garb.  Unlike other Toby
>    pieces, this one is covered in a brown glaze that varies in color
>    (runs, etc) from dark to light brown.  The expression on his face
>    is particularly fun, a smile and downward gaze to his hands, which
>    are extended outward.  He reaches to pick snuff (?) from an
>    undefined container. The bottom of the peice is also glazed (no
>    irridescence can be detected in the glaze).
>
>    I am curious if this is Bennington period pottery or something
>    else.
>
>    Any takers?  I would be interested in the age, probable maker, and
>    approximate value.
>
>    Thanks
>
>    John Handley

Hard to say from your description but the brown glaze sounds like it may
be 'Treacle ware'- at least that's what it's generally called on the
English antique circuit ( usually a fairly soft, yellow/buff earthenware
body ). It is very hard to find any reference to treacle ware in ceramic
books but pieces in the form of tankards, toby jugs and furniture rests
are quite common. Probably not much help but I thought I'd try...
( generally C19th )
Regards

--
Paul .

Gecko Ceramics. Antique English stoneware, earthenware and china.
Gloucestershire, England, GB. Tel (01452) 830031.

Please visit our site at:

http://www.bohanna.demon.co.uk/antiques/gecko/gecko.htm