From:
Sean Purdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:01:12 -0800
Jane: Very interesting questions. I read in a recent issue of "Muse" the
Canadian Museums Association quarterly about a "Rapid Response" team at
the Australian Museum (?) which develops exhibits about hot political
topics within a few months of their occurrence. They use artifacts but
also theatre, performance poetry etc. They have tackled questions of
homophobia, the terrible drought affecting areas of Australia and other
issues. I think it is a fascinating idea.

My sense is that there is very little of this in North America. First,
those in positions to actually collect and interpret such histories are
hesitant to consider radical politics a worthy venture. Their own
politics and those of their benefactors (museum boards, government
agencies etc.) are decidely conservative. You may know that even tame
exhibits which criticize power structures are subject to censorship and
well-orchestrated campaigns by the right to discredit them. Even many of
those who agree with the merits of alternative histories and accounts of
politics are not prepared to defend freedom of expression from
right-wing attacks (i.e. liberals). You may already know about the Enola
Gay exhibit at the Smithsonian in the US; in Canada, a exhibition by a
Quebecois painter on the October Crisis of 1970 (when the Canadian
government declared martial law as an excuse to smash  nationalism and
the unions) was withdrawn from the National Gallery. A docu-drama by the
CBC which dared to criticize the massive Allied bombing of civilians in
Germany in 1945 was frontally attacked by veterans, the legions and a
whole host of other organizations. It was even made the subject of a
government inquiry and censured.

There is a new institution in Hamilton, Ontario "The Ontario Workers'
Arts and Heritage Centre" which holds out much promise. It is not a
museum per se but it has developed a number of exhibits on the 1946
strike wave in Ontario "What We fought For" which is explicitly linked
to the current assault on the working class and poor. It was long on
text and photos and short on other artifacts but it was very interesting
and refreshing. It has also exhibited photographic collections from the
current general strike movement in Ontario (there have been five
city-wide political general strikes in Ontario against the Tories in the
last 12 months).

I keep a personal archive of what is mistakenly called ephemera
(posters, leaflets, discussion documents) and photographs from my own
political activities (strikes, social movements etc.). I have several
banners, including a beautiful anti-racist banner, but they are
currently still in use. I never thought of collecting things other than
archival stuff and will now try to do so.

Perhaps others can correct me on the state of radical politics and
collecting in North America. I hope there is more than I know of.

Are you active in stuff in Britain, Jane, and interested in collecting?

Cheers, Sean Purdy