Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 22:44:39 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-19 13:20:05 EDT, [log in to unmask]
(Tim Aydelott) writes:

>by the Adrienne, what is labretifery, my pocket dictionary does not have
>this word.

Labretifry (sorry, I spelled it wrong AGAIN in my previous post) :-( is the
term coined by William H. Dall in 1873 for the practice of inserting labrets
(that word should be in the dictionary, I hope) into the body. The docents in
the Olmec exhibit called them ear spools (which is fine). Labrets are also
referred to as lip disks, cheek plugs, septum plugs (today's Modern
Primitives call them septum piercings), etc.

- Adrienne