Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 18:23:57 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-01 07:31:03 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Jennifer
Nuske) writes:

>How do exhibition curators/teams in children's museums interpret
>difficult or sensitive issues for children?

Not sure if this qualifies (it does, in my mind), but when I was at the
National Firearms Museum, I wanted to do an interactive exhibit which would
allow children to grasp a "gun" and feel the kick of the various calibers and
gun types (i.e. an AK47, a 22 caliber, etc). I think that with all of the tv
and movie violence depicting people running and shooting these massive hand
guns, machine guns, etc., children get a false impression of what it is like
to handle a gun. Having shot a fair range of arms while at the museum, I can
tell you, it would be impossible for me to fire a .357 at someone while I was
running in the rain in a dark alley and hit someone. Granted, the exhibit
itself would be considered controversial (a personal favorite topic of mine
:-), but I think important and dealing with real issues that many children
are faced with in the real world. Sadly, the exhibit, much less the museum,
isn't likely to happen. Does this help?

- Adrienne