Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 19:17:17 GMT
Ellen Halteman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>How does your Museum acknowledge the invaluable service of its
>volunteers?

We have about 1000 volunteers in total at the Manitoba Museum of Man
and Nature.  Our major volunteer recognition is an event held in the
spring, usually in the adjoining concert hall's piano nobile.  It is a
very nice social gathering  where wine, appetizers, fruit etc. is
served along with pianists or harpists, speeches from the President of
the Board and Executive Director (acknowledging the outstanding work
of the entire volunteer corps and individuals that have made
particularly outstanding contributions -such as 10 and 20 years of
service).  Volunteers that have worked for a minimum of 6 months
receive a free membership to the Museum/Planetarium/Science Centre,
which entitles the member to free admission, discounts on shop
purchases, course fees, etc.  Longstanding volunteers who reach
milestones (e.g. 20 years) are honoured with a Museum medallion, or
framed limited edition museum print, or something equivalent.  Parking
is subsidized (50%, because we don't own or operate our own lot)

We strive for consistency between departments and functions, in terms
of recognition.  The program is coordinated by a staff member, the
Volunteer Program Officer.  The budget has been about the same for
many years.

Hope it helps,

George Wurtak
Director of Programs