Byron Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Dec 1996 22:28:47 -0600
At 07:55 AM 12/1/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Our museum has been given a square piano, possibly from the mid to late
>1800's.  We were wondering if anyone could help up find out more
>information on it.  We need to know what to look for on the piano to
>help us.
>
>Thanks

Any good piano store will have a copy of the "Piano Atlas" that lists most
pianos by serial number range and provides approximate years of manufacture.

It seems that almost every community in the Trans-Mississippian West
regarded a piano in every parlor as a sign of civilization. Virtually every
Texas, Wyoming, New Mexico and Colorado museum I have worked at, or was
familiar with, had so many in storage or offered to them that they no longer
took them.

When uprights and grands became favored many squares were cut up for the
wood, which was made into wardrobes, chests and the like. A few serious
pianists I have talked to point out two problems with squares -- inferior
tonal qualities compared with upgrights and grands, and some are apparently
"short" several octaves (I don't play so I'm not able to verify this).

I have had squares restored to playable condition at a couple of museums and
had "period" music concerts with great success. However, the cost of one in
playable condition is often less than the cost of restoring a basket case.
Many piano restorers don't want to bother with them.

Hope this helps.
Byron Johnson, Director
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum
P.O. Box 2570, Waco, Texas 76702-2570
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
"...Unless a people are educated and enlightened it is idle
to expect the continuance of civil liberty or the capacity
for self-government."
Texas Declaration of Independence,  March 2, 1836.