Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:02:22 +0000
From:
"Alex W. Barker" <[log in to unmask]>
I'm not really sure how meaningful it is to say that "the public
wants" this or that in a museum setting.  Certainly one of our most
popular programs is a behind-the-scenes tour, and many people are
fascinated by the workings of museums. Others are not.  Public
interest isn't something we can adequately consider in monolithic,
monothetic terms.

Nor, I think, are all museums of equal interest to people.  Pardon my
bias, but I think places like natural history museums may have a
greater behind-the-scenes draw than, say, children's museums.  At
least here, in our museum, the level of interest is related to the
perception of richness and diversity, that displays are the tip of
the iceberg and that most of the more interesting things go on in
back-of-house contexts.  The front-of-house operation is seen as the
interpretation for visitors of the *real* museum work going on behind
the scenes.  That certainly is not a view held by everyone, nor is it
necessarily accurate, but for some people it makes a peek behind the
scenes an integral and unforgettable part of the visitor experience.

Alex Barker, Chief Curator & Director of Science Programs
Dallas Museum of Natural History
Box 150349
Dallas, TX 75315-0349
(214) 421-3466 ext. 244