From:
JCA Boeyens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:10:32 +0200
I don't know if this is to the point -but at the Sammy Marks museum,
which is the house of a famous South African Victorian industrialist, they
actually used an archaeologists to reconsturct the original garden which
had been changed by later generations. Once the archaeologists had
uncovered the original design, the garden was replanted as it had
originally been with the help of photographs and the diary of Bertha
Marks, Sammy's wife. So it isn't just a traditional Victorian garden but is
the exact garden that Bertha planted. My impression from wathcing
people on the tour and other events that are organised around the
garden is that the public really appreciate this and are very interested in
the whole archaeological, historical research that went into
reconstructing the garden.

Kathryn