Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 1996 15:16:06 -0800
7bit
From:
Rick Wiedenmann <[log in to unmask]>
To save money, we make our own sticky traps.  We use old file folders,
pieces of scrap mylar, double-sided tape and a sticky substance like
tanglefoot (tanglefoot is a sticky "goop" used by field biologists both
for trapping insects and keeping crawling insects off things.  Its
available through numerous suppliers.  I order Tangletrap through the
Forestry Suppliers catalog).

I cut up old folders so that I can fold them over to create a triangular
tube about 4-5" long and about 3" on each side.  On the inside I use
double stick tape to secure a piece of mylar.  On top of the mylar I then
spread the tanglefoot. (Without the mylar or similar material, the "goop"
will soak through the paper over time and create a mess).  Fold the trap
over and secure the top with tape.  Then write down the date and location
of the trap.  Any small creature that steps onto the tanglefoot will
become stuck.

I use a similar method to catch things coming under our emergency exit
doors.  I use a scrap piece of formica cut to fit the threshold.  The top
of the formica is coated with tanglefoot.  Place the finished piece
infront of the door.  Be careful to keep it away from visitors though.  I
don't think it's toxic but it is sticky.  I've managed to catch some of
our education staff this way.

As far as other critters, it will pick up spiders, insects, etc.  I even
caught a shrew last year which let us know how bad our door problem
really was.

If my details our too vague, I would be happy to snail mail a diagram
showing how to make these to anyone who is interested.

Rick
--
Rick Wiedenmann
Curator of Collections