From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 20:47:50 -0500
I went to the Institute of Fine Arts at NYU.  It was a good program for some
people, especially if you were a budding scholar, as they had a lot of other
name-brand scholars there (Sir John Pope-Henness(e?)y, Robert Rosenblum,
Bernard Bothmer, Peter von Blankenhagen, Kirk Varnedoe, etc.).  However, if
you were interested in anything at all practical (either within the field or
on your own time!) they were instantly suspicious of you.  I quit after the
M.A. because I couldn't take it any longer.

Your mileage may vary, however.  I don't know what their strengths are now,
but at the time they were turning out Renaissance and Baroque scholars like
doughnuts.  This was not my area of interest.  Their archaeological field
work opportunities were very limited but they did have a terrific lecture
series and an awesome library (although the library did close at 10pm).  And
all of New York was there.

Hope this helps,

Julia Moore
Indianapolis Art Center