From:
"J./B. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 19:22:11 -0500
We just posted three entry level jobs here on Museum-L.  The reason we did
not post them in AVISO was because the positions opened suddenly and we
needed them filled immediately--the lead time necessary to advertise in
AVISO did not meet our schedule.  Also, the salary levels were too low to
justify the expense of a classified ad in AVISO.  I think this may be
reasoning common to a lot of museums.

All of the jobs were filled by local people--this was NOT intentional.  The
resumes we received from the posting on Museum-L were absolutely terrific
but the majority of the people were OVERQUALIFIED for the jobs and we could
not afford to pay them what they were worth (the jobs were both in the
$18,000 range).  We actually ended up combining two part-time positions into
one full-time because we had a candidate who was fully qualified to handle both.

Cold letters are great resources to have when you know you will have a
vacancy in the future, but when they arrive when there are no positions and
no prospects for one, they just make me as the person receiving them feel
guilty for even having a job.  Especially if the person is qualified for MY job!

Julia Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
(I love my job and am not leaving.  No cold letters please!  :)    )