From:
Silver City Museum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:23:29 -0600
We are looking for paintings by John Gage (Jack) Stark, who worked in
California in the first half of the 20th century.  For several years he
painted in New Mexico, and lived in Silver City, hence our particular
interest.  One of his younger friends at the time is still living here; she
has correspondence from Stark as well as several of his works. He was
apparently known as a California Impressionist, (but in the early 1930s had
a studio in Paris).  Later in the thirties he lived and worked in Santa
Barbara.

Upon his death in 1950 the Santa Barbara Museum of Art acquired several of
his paintings and a great many sketches.  We are seriously considering doing
an exhibition of Jack Stark's paintings and drawings, and would like to
track down more of his pieces for study or perhaps loans to our exhibit.  If
you know the whereabouts of any works by Stark (other than the Santa Barbara
Museum of Art,) would you please let me know?

Thanks!

Robin Gilliam  (505) 538-5921
Curator of Hisotry and Interpretation
The Silver City Museum